Thursday, January 28, 2010

Arvo Pärt and Tria Fata

Sam, Katie and I were eating pizza the other night, discussing plans for our next concert (coming up on the 18th of February) and musing, however tentatively, and with a tender, sad foreboding, on the future dissolution of Tria Fata.  I freely admit, I've cried over it.  We have each commented at various times on how we've each felt stretched and expanded by playing with each other.  Of the many things we do together as colleagues and friends in a trio, one of my favorites is doing "trio-listening" when we get together and just listen to new music we may want to learn.

Sam found a piece he wanted Katie and I to hear.  Especially excited about this new piece, he called three times this morning while I was at work.  I got to school, went to class and then met Sam for a pre-grad audition performance and critique.  He didn't play for me, but ended up leading me to the DPA lab, where he sat me down at one of the computers, inserted a CD and bade me listen to Arvo Pärt's Mozart-Adagio.  It's incredible.  It's been the only piece of music I have wanted to listen to all day.  We've ordered the music.  We're playing it on the 18th.  It will be one of our last performances.  A perfectly appropriate musical setting for such an emotional close for us.



Pittsburgh Piano Trio, St. Petersburg Conservatory, March 2006

1 comment:

justsohappy said...

Nicholas Maughan, it was beautiful and soulful. I loved it!