Wednesday, May 19, 2010

"If There's Love in a House..."

To steal a line from a great Tome Waits song “...It's a palace for sure.”

Every single member of my family was under the same roof for the past week. It's been lovely to have Mom and Dad, me, Matt and Claren and Jayden and Andi, Austin, and Gavin together. We haven't spent this long a time with each other for six years.

A lot has happened in that span of time:  I left to serve in PA. Matt went to Phoenix to study diesel mechanics. I came home and moved to Ogden. Austin left to serve in the Dominican Republic. Mom moved an entire cosmetology school twice. I was one half of a horribly dysfunctional, thankfully dissolved engagement. Matt and Claren got married.  Jayden arrived. Austin left. Gavin boycotted the public school system and started his stint with home-schooling and then boycotted home-schooling and went back to public school.   I moved home.  Andi was born.  I moved back to Ogden. Gavin overturned his Jeep. Austin came home (a week ago!). Dad has been constant and sure the entire time and Mom has enjoyed most of the ride.

I was reminded of how much I love my family. This photo is probably the best representation of all the happy feelings I've felt in their company this week.  It has been as pure a joy for me as riding my shoulders was for my niece.



I thank God for my family and that there is love in our house, this palace: our home.

2 comments:

Auntie Em said...

Wonderful! I totally understand the feeling. LOVE IT!

justsohappy said...

Its has been a grand adventure these last six years, but so worth having. They are what bring us to embrace the joy with all our hearts. This photo of you and Jayden is precious in my heart.