Saturday, June 12, 2010

Reading Old Facebook Notes

From Jan 27: "25 Random Things"

1 - I abhor these kinds of excercizes, as they always leave me contemplating the mysteries of my Self. Some little idiosyncracy gets glaringly revealed, and then I have to grapple with that, in public.

2 - Poetry is feeling a tenderness toward this existence named life, and having to write it out to understand why it is.

3 - The older I become, the more I realize that family is the only thing that really matters. Being in a family provides one with lessons in love, forgiveness and humor. I'm grateful for mine.

4 - I also believe that my friends are the best people I know. They are the good people who provide me the high mark against which I measure myself. Thank you.

5 - I am not a kind person, but I'm honest. I won't give you praise for a mediocre performance that leaves me feeling unfulfilled; however, I will wait in line until the cows come home to let you know when your genius has inspired me.

6 - I like Emily Dickinson because we both have felt the need to hide; I adore e.e. cummings because we both laugh with all the energy we can muster; I revere Gerard Manley Hopkins because we both are in a beautiful struggle to understand the "WHY" of God.

7 - The best jokes are dirty. They're even funnier when someone in the room just doesn't get it.

8 - I want to wake up, some warm, lazy Sunday, and read Pablo Neruda's sonnets to the one I love as light cascades inside from the windows.

9 - If I ever have children, I will fingerpaint with them. We will search for spiders' webs and toadstools and all the secret things Nature keeps until you find them, and fill with wonder. I will teach them to love the freedom of their voices by letting them sing. And I will most definitely make them sit beside me, watching Cinderella, The Fox and the Hound, Finding Nemo, Wall-E and every movie starring Audrey Hepburn.

10 - I love the feeling of having mud caked on my body! My favorite YM/YW activites were on fall nights when we would soak a big field and play mud football. I absolutely relish how the squishiness between your toes and on your legs and under your shirt and in your hair becomes a crust you flake off in little pieces. Possibly, this is why I crave facials when I am at the beauty college.

11 - I think "Tickle My Fingers" is the most brilliant expression I have ever come up with.

12 - I say I'm afraid of rabbits (I am!), but I really fear other people. And being alone in a house at night. And trust.

13 - I really, really would like to gain 30 lbs. Really.

14 - When I feel morose, I bake. The Eccles boys really liked it when I was having a bad day.

15 - I hate carrying spare change because it jingles. I usually put any change I get from the cashier into the spare change jar. Don't ask me for pennies, because I don't keep them. But don't be surprised if I ask you for a couple.

16 - Indoor plumbing is miraculous, but public restrooms are banal.

17 - I absolutely delight in certain curse words. Sometime, when you're playing the Wii, and you think you get a brake from dancing with those damn rabbits, and the dancing keeps going, you must yell, "What?!? I can't quit? I've been moving like a bitch on crack!" That just tastes good.

18 - On the other hand, there are words I detest. Any time a person uses their words to degrade another, to dehumanize--this is evil.

19 - I may have forgotten what the Pythagorean theorem is, but at least I can spell Pythagorean!

20 - My soul longs for Tuscany. I will live there for two years when I have completed my doctoral degree, and then rent a summer villa every year thereafter.

21 - Looking at the stars reminds me of the way I felt as a little boy when Mom would make us waffles or pancakes in the morning: small, and wonderfully content.

22 - Post-it notes irritate me. Annotations do not.

23 - I grew up with poor grammar. Some things can be overcome.

24 - I don't enjoy texting -- I would rather speak with you on the phone, and I don't enjoy speaking on the phone, either.

25 - I'm finished!

All of it still rings true. :D

No comments: