Monday, October 29, 2012

when i remember that i ought to forget those two and a half weeks


  • you, standing next to my piano, pretending to peruse old photos on the wall
  • grabbing gas station wine
  • running for coffee and Hannaford muffins
  • smoothing white sheets and white sand and rubbing white sunscreen into our tanning backs
  • letting our waitresses and the coffee girls and that sexy artist believe we were a couple from "The City" on holiday
  • your fingers tickling the air when you talk
  • acknowleding my stony disappointment when you talked about your four-year-long Him
  • hating/needing/loving that final dinner together (thank you, Subway) before your four-year-long Him showed up for the opening of our show
  • smiling because you're a bitch-of-a-flirt (but so am i) even when your four-year-long Him is around
  • trying to assuage your appalled frustration and eventual fuck-its when she re-clumped/re-staged/re-choreographed your show
  • your teeth, lined up like tight soldiers
  • your arms
  • your red swimming briefs
  • you
  • being late to "lobstah" dinners and being okay with being tardy
  • neither of us stopping the rumors that we were show-mancing each other
  • letting the rumors fuel fiery undercurrents
  • trying to convince myself to keep a difficult boundary
  • you, not letting anyone else sit next to me when we all went to the beach to watch 4th-of-july fireworks
  • me, not letting anyone else to sit next to you when we all went to the beach to watch 4th-of-july fireworks
  • acknowledging i'd let myself have my first crush without feeling any sort of guilt or fear or self-condemnation
  • you, telling me i was the only "option" you would've pursued
  • me, wishing i could have talked myself into yielding
  • now, glad i didn't yield
  • missing you so much more than i expected i would
  • arguing with myself each time we've communicated since you left
  • looking at some lessons learned
  • knowing that even though i tripped in the water and probably broke my foot, this day was one of the best and happiest days of my life.  #becauseiknewyou

  

No comments: