Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Jenny Gets a New Coat - Part II

We all knew she looked good, too, and our chorus of compliments grew in crescendo.

"You've got to get it, Jen," I said.  "It's a good, warm coat, and it looks great on you!  The way it cinches around your waist is superb -- so flattering."  Jenny was just smiles.

And then, she looked at the price tag.  One hundred some-odd dollars.  A sum far and above what Jenny has ever been willing to pay for any item of clothing she purchases.  "No," she shook her head in disappointment and started untying the scarf wrapped around her neck, "I've got some bills to pay and a few other things and payday isn't until next week.  Still, it was fun to try it on and pretend for a minute."

"But Jenny," I was incredulous, "it's 50% off."

"It's totally worth it, Jen," Corey concurred.

"And," chimed in Jules, taking the scarf from Jenny's hands, "if I buy it for you 'as a gift,' I can add my employee discount to the sale price."

"I just can't do it right now," Jenny argued.

"What if Corey and I put in the cash, and Jules adds the discount, Jen?"

"And you think of it as your Christmas present," Jules continued.

"And maybe part of your birthday, too?" Corey finished.

Again, Jenny refused, "I'm not going to let you guys do that.  That's nice and all, but I just can't have you do that."

Oh, we were disappointed, but that didn't stop us from dressing the rest of us up in coats and sweaters and scarves.  We had a grand time selecting winter fashions for each other, modelling our picks for the dressing room attendant, and posing as she took our picture.

When we took our items back to their tables and racks, I took Corey aside.  "We've got to do something, Corey.  It will be a tragedy if she doesn't walk out of here wearing her coat.  It is the last one in her size.  I checked.  I've got about $40 I can give her for it."

"And I've got about $20.  Let's do it," he motioned Julyn over, explaining our idea to buy the coat for Jenny since she wouldn't do it herself. 

Jules was all for it.  "Did you see how happy she looked when she was wearing it.  Sometimes, a girl just needs a good piece of clothing to help her feel good.  Give me the cash, and I'll buy it.  With my discount, $60 should be about right."

Now, we just had to convince Jenny.

No comments: